Educational uses of Cartography. An example on the use of GIS to deal with depopulation by skill processes
- 1Chief Department of Geography and History, IES “El Portillo”, Zaragoza, Spain
- 2Teacher of Geography and History, school “Santa María del Pilar (Marianistas)”, Zaragoza, Spain
- 3Teacher of Geography and History, school “Colegio del Salvador” (Jesuitas), Zaragoza, Spain
Keywords: cartography, education, GIS, depopulation, Geography
Abstract. This paper analyses the use of Cartography made by Geographical Information Systems (GIS) in K 12 education levels with these two objectives:
- Get students familiar with this type of Geographical representation.
- Achieve that students get skill learning on Geography and Cartography.
This paper begins justifying the choice of this topic and analysing the pedagogical and educational possibilities of GIS. Second, it is studied the current and past depopulation processes that took place in Aragon, along with the ways of cartographical representation commonly used in education and, the ones used to create these materials, reasoning our choice. Then, the paper describes the materials and resources and provides free downloading links. Fourth, we conclude with the evaluation of the initially proposed objectives, with a focus on the quality and advantages of the use of GIS as educational resource. The paper concludes with some future research suggestions.